Payments company Circle is rolling out a digital version of the U.S. dollar with a cryptocurrency pegged to the currency.
“There are a number of banks who are excited about it and will support it,” says Jeremy Allaire, CEO of Circle.
Circle also announced a $110 million investment round led by Bitmain, best-known as the profitable crypto mining company, bringing its valuation near $3 billion.
- BTC makes run for $9000 as Consensus 2018 warms up;
- CNBC reported that Coindesk’s Consensus 2018 has more than 4,000 attendees, likely to generate more than $8 million in ticket sales;
- Cryptocurrency market drops $9 Billion, Bitcoin and major currencies remain volatile;
- NASDAQ powered crypto exchange DX set to launch next month;
- Korea’s financial watchdog to join crypto exchange UPbit investigation;
- China’s new rating system: these 28 blockchain projects will be assessed;
- Big banks are investing heavily in blockchain and crypto: $364 billion investment firm;
- 47% of South Africans Plan to Invest in Cryptocurrencies;
- Billionaire Mike Novogratz: ‘Almost Irresponsible’ to not invest in Bitcoin. Every investor should have 1% to 2% of their portfolio in cryptocurrency;
- Ripple announces a new project, Xpring, a new initiative that supports businesses growing on the XRP Ledger;
- Kin (KIN) token resurrects after teaming Up with Stellar;
- Gemini exchange to add Litecoin, Zcash and BitcoinCash;
- Triggers (TRIG): testnet demo;
- QLINK (QLC) rebranding;
- Titanium BAR (TBAR) listed on HitBTC;
- TomoChain (TOMO) listed on KuCoin;
- TomoChain (TOMO) partnership with Midas Protocol;
Market Cap: $412.628.266.686
24h Vol: $24.466.172.747
BTC Dominance: 36.6%
The Ontology Foundation and the NEO Foundation signed a memorandum of understanding on May 14th, 2018, concerning strategy and technology integration.
.@GeminiDotCom is the first qualified custodian and exchange to receive @NYDFS approval to offer trading of emerging digital currency Zcash in New York: https://t.co/pQB59T5j4A pic.twitter.com/ZNgFysNBba
— Jack Gavigan (@JackGavigan) May 14, 2018
Well over 4,000 are expected to attend CoinDesk’s Consensus conference in New York City.
With tickets roughly $2,000 each, the conference is likely bringing in at least $8 million.
Not everyone in the cryptocurrency world is happy about the conferences: Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin vowed to boycott Consensus this year, partly because of the high ticket price.
Earlier this week the Chinese government announced the introduction of a blockchain rating system and now the 28 projects that will be rated are known.
The 28 projects that will be assessed by a scientific institution overseen by China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MITT) are: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash, Cardano, Stellar, NEO, IOTA, Monero, Dash, NEM, Ethereum Classic, QTUM, NANO, Lisk, Zcash, Verge, Stratis, Siacoin, Steem, BitShares, Bytecoin, Waves, Decred, Hshare, Komodo and ARK.
- Bitcoin loses $9K support as markets react to S. Korea investigation, Mt.Gox Sell-Off;
- Cryptocurrency market sees $50 billion loss, Bitcoin price and tokens down significantly;
- Upbit: suspected of fraud, undergoes search and seizure (apparently the Korea FUD is due to a misunderstanding, exchange employee claims there is no issue);
- Huawei releases Bitcoin wallet in app store, pre-installed on all new smartphones;
- Ethereum futures launch on regulated UK trading platform;
- Crypto wallet Trezor adds support for fictional currency PiedPiperCoin;
- Israel tax authority hunts for Bitcoin traders on social media;
- Kodak announces token offering goal for blockchain image protection platform;
- Robinhood app receives $336 million to expand crypto trading platform;
- Dash Core CEO Ryan Taylor hacked, twitter account hijacked by 4chan trolls;
- Dash (DASH): Electrum 3.0.6;
- Viacoin (VIA): new website release;
- Credits (CS) listed on Bitfinex;
- Augur (REP) listed on Binance;
- ICON (ICX) and Samsung: CHAIN ID to be used in Samsung pass service. World’s first blockchain joint authentication service that has been in use since October 2017 by 11 securities companies;
- ICON (ICX) launches a new platform for dapps;
- Waves (WAVES) smart contracts arrive on the Testnet;
- Request Network (REQ) now supports BTC and ERC20;
Market Cap: $383.095.138.979
24h Vol: $29.825.296.612
BTC Dominance: 37.6%
The social network Facebook may create its own digital token in the future. It will allow its customers to make payments without using government-backed currencies.